Monday, October 29, 2007

Back to Writing but Not to Running

If you are here because you clicked the link from the cross country article, then you already know how the HAAC conference meet went for me. I did not go at all. Around 3 a.m. I woke up with a 102 degree temperature and a sore, swollen throat. After calling coach, I spent the morning of Sept. 20 sitting in a walk-in medical center in Lawrence trying to get some relief from my symptoms, while my teammates lined up on a moist, windy course.
I was treated for strep throat on Saturday, but as the antibiotics proved to be providing no relief I returned to the medical center on Monday morning only to test positive for Mono. I stayed in Lawrence for the next few days while my boyfriend made sure I was staying hydrated and keeping my fever down.
After suffering through five days of a swollen throat and fever I drove the three hours home to see my family doctor. There they took more of my blood and confirmed the medical clinic's advice to not run for a minimum of four weeks.
The women's team came in fifth, which is two places lower than expected. I feel bad for not being able to run for the team, but there was not a whole lot I could do about being sick. I wish them the best of luck at the regional meet next weekend, and hopefully I will be able to train soon and get ready for indoor track.

No comments: